Support User Guide
provides a specific set of services in support of our clients.
This Support User Guide describes the specific support services provided by Measured Search to our customers. This page delineates the tasks that SearchStax support engineers typically undertake, and how Measured Search clients may avail themselves of these services.
Contacting Measured Search Support
Hours of Operation
SearchStax customers using our Silver (i.e. free) level of support will be assisted in the hours 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday-Friday.
Premium customers (Gold, Platinum, Platinum Plus SLAs) will be assisted by region:
|Americas||8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday-Friday|
|Europe||8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday-Friday|
|Asia-Pacific and Japan||8 a.m. to 6 p.m. AEST, Monday-Friday|
Some SLA agreements provide 24/7 response for urgent issues only. See SLA Plans.
Coverage for major holidays may be limited to critical issues only.
Problem Severity Categories
Measured Search recognizes four problem severity levels, depending on the business impact of the issue. Please choose the appropriate level when you submit an issue:
|The impact on business is severe with many users unable to access the Services or use the Services for their intended purpose, or there is a serious, adverse business / financial impact. The users have no readily available alternative way of accessing the Services or using the Services for their intended purpose.|
|There is a significant impact on business. The users are having difficulty accessing the Services or using the Services for their intended purpose. Workaround solutions can be implemented but with significant degradation of productivity.|
|There is no immediate impact on Customer business with only a few users affected. The users are inconvenienced by the problem but, have alternative ways of performing work with nominal productivity impact.|
|Additional development or enhancement services which are not critical in nature.|
Filing a Support Request
Silver: SearchStax customers may use our Silver level of support by sending email to support@Measured Search.com.
Premium: Customers who have purchased a premium service-level agreement (Gold, Platinum, or Platinum Plus) may send email to support@Measured Search.com, or they may log in to our Zendesk website at https://support.Measured Search.com/hc/en-us.
For all users, please provide the following information in your support request:
- Subject: This will be the title of subsequent email exchanges.
- Description: Describe the issue in as much detail as possible.
- Severity: 1, 2, 3, or 4, as described above.
- Deployment Name: Please include the URL of the deployment that has the issue (such as "https://ss284305-us-west-2-aws.Measured Search.com/solr/#/"). This accelerates our response time significantly.
- Attachments: You may attach screenshots, log files and other documentation as needed.
Issue Submission Process
SearchStax responds to an issue through the following general process:
- When submitting a ticket, the client provides a description of the issue, a description of the business impact, and designates the severity level of the request.
- Measured Search evaluates the request and provides an initial response in the time determined by the client's SLA.
- Measured Search contacts the client by using the online ticket system to confirm details and initiate diagnosis.
- The client works with Measured Search to provide additional information relevant to the issue (for example, network infrastructure information).
- Measured Search tracks progress and client communications in the online ticket system until the issue is resolved.
SearchStax support engineers are available to help you with certain specific tasks. Responsiveness depends on the terms of your SLA or by prior arrangement with the SearchStax team.
SearchStax Support engineers may provide advisory services on an hourly basis, as agreed in advance with the SearchStax team.
Advisory services entitle the client to engage an SearchStax engineer in a discussion of best practices for generic topics including security, migration, performance tuning, Solr development, and website architecture. Advisory support is limited to knowledge that can be communicated during a real-time conversation or by follow-up email.
Advisory support does not generate any deliverables.
Examples of advisory support topics:
- Security best practices
- Performance best practices
- Architecture best practices
- Solr schema modifications
- Solr score boosting
- Expanding/reducing a deployment
Search Application Support
Measured Search presumes that you have developed your search-engine application and are ready to deploy it on cloud servers. Our committment is to help you deploy your system and to maintain it in a responsive state that fulfills the terms of your SLA.
We do not perform development of search applications. Schema development, data normalization, and search-client development are beyond the scope of our support services.
Search Engine Life Cycle
Measured Search reserves the right to retire support for search-engine releases that have become obsolete, except by specific agreement between the client and the SearchStax team.
Silver: SearchStax customers using our Silver level of support may deploy Solr versions 5.1, 5.4, 5.5, 6.4, or 6.6.
Premium: Customers who have purchased a premium service-level agreement (Gold, Platinum, or Platinum Plus) may also deploy Solr 4.x or such other search engines as are negotiated with the SearchStax team.
Supported Cloud Providers and Regions
Access to cloud providers and their regions depends on your Support Plan.
Clients have access to the following cloud providers and regions.
|Amazon AWS||US East (Ohio, N. Virginia), US West (Oregon, N. California), Canada (Central), South America (São Paulo), EU (Frankfurt, Ireland, London), Asia Pacific (Mumbai, Seoul, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo)||All regions.|
|Windows Azure||No Silver plans offered.||All regions.|
|Google Cloud||No Silver plans offered.||All regions.|
"Premium" means Gold, Platinum, or Platinum Plus customers.
Clients who have purchased Premium support have access to most regions within AWS, Azure and Google Cloud. Inquire at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Installing Runtime Libraries
Deploying custom JAR files to your Solr deployments is a self-service activity described in Adding Custom JARs. SearchStax engineers are ready to assist you with this task during normal business hours.
Private Clouds and Virtual Private Networks
If your application resides in a Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) on Amazon Web Services (AWS), SearchStax engineers can provide Solr instances either within your own VPC or in a separate VPC that is managed by the SearchStax team. For more information, see SearchStax Cloud Private AWS.
If your application resides in a Virtual Private Network (VNet) on Microsoft Azure, SearchStax engineers can provide Solr instances in a separate Virtual Private Cloud that is managed by the SearchStax team. For more information, see Fully Managed Elasticsearch-as-a-Service.
These are specialized services that involve premium SLAs and additional fees.
Personnel and Billing Changes
The initial user on a SearchStax account is automatically the admin, and has the ability to manage other users on that account. See Adding Users. SearchStax engineers are happy to assist in situations where turnover has made user management awkward, and when changes in billing must be made.
IP Security Changes
A SearchStax account admin has the ability to restrict access to the deployment to specific IP addresses. See Cluster Security.
SearchStax engineers assist in setting up IP filtering for special network configurations involving virtual private networks, private clouds, and jumphosts.
Search Engine Upgrade
A client with a premium SLA (Gold, Platinum, Platinum Plus) may request a search engine upgrade (Solr 5.x to Solr 6.x, for instance). SearchStax engineers participate in such upgrades, which may require one to two weeks to complete.
The SearchStax team adheres to the following policies about interacting with clients.
- Conference Bridge Participation - We understand that some of our clients expect to open a conference bridge when an issue is defined and remain on that bridge until the problem is solved or the severity lessens. We have found that the bridge format is not conducive to orderly troubleshooting. We do not participate in bridge calls until a complete problem description has been provided. After we receive this information, we will select the appropriate personnel to join the call. The SearchStax team reserves the right to decline bridge calls that are outside the scope of SearchStax support.
- Customer Chat Channels - SearchStax support will not establish or join customer chat channels.
- Conference Calls - There are times when direct communication over a conference call or similar meeting is the best means of addressing a specific issue or clarifying recommendations that have been provided. Conference calls can be requested and scheduled through email@example.com.